Course Code: ABR
Course Duration: 1/2 Day
Who Should Attend?
This programme is designed for any person who may be required to use an abrasive wheel in the workplace or requires familiarisation with the associated regulations.
To provide delegates with a thorough understanding of the hazards associated with the use of abrasive wheels and to comply with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) in the safe mounting of abrasive wheels and discs on portable machinery.
- Legal requirements and responsibilities.
- Nature of hazards and identification of causes.
- Safe work area.
- Selection of correct machinery and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Method of marking, storing, handling and transporting.
- Storage, checking and use of discs.
- Machine checks.
- Mounting and dressing.
- By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Understand the legal requirements and their responsibility for the safe use of abrasive wheels.
- Identify a potential hazard and its reasonable foreseeable risks.
- Select the appropriate machinery and PPE required for the work being undertaken.
- Select appropriate safety equipment that may be used and carry out appropriate pre-use checks.
- Be able to correctly mark, store, handle and transport abrasive wheels and any ancillary equipment such as discs.
- Conduct a practical exercise using the appropriate safety equipment, in a safe and efficient manner.
Classroom based tutorials and demonstrations.
A practical exercise may be included into the syllabus subject to a suitable and risk assessed practical area and the necessary equipment and PPE being made available for the duration of the training.
Furthermore training will be specific only to the type of abrasive wheel used by the delegates in their line of work and therefore needs to be advised to us at the time of booking.