Course Code: SHU
Course Duration: 1-4 Days
The purpose of this course is to train operators on the safe use of Shunters, and to give them a good working knowledge of the statutory requirements and the need for safety training. The course covers manoeuvring, coupling, de-coupling, and reversing, as well as the general operating of the machine, and site safety codes. Also covered is the machine and control familiarisation, daily checks, refuelling and simple maintenance, and the use of attachments.
To teach operators to be able to safely operate a Shunters, including manoeuvring and maintaining the machine. The course is aimed at all operators who need to operate a Shunter as part of their employment.
On completion of the course the operators will be able to:
- Carry out all pre-shift checks on the Shunter.
- Be familiar with the machine and controls.
- Be familiar with a variety of attachments used, understanding how each one is used and maintained.
- Be able to effectively and efficiently couple, decouple and manoeuvre the Shunter and travel across site taking into account hazards and obstacles.
The standard course for Shunter operators is 1-4 days, depending upon prior experience.
1 instructor : 4 Students, 90% Practical : 10% Classroom.
The standard course will cover the following:
- The statutory requirements relating to using an Overhead Crane.
- The statutory requirements relating to using a Shunter.
- Operating and site safety codes.
- Machine and control familiarisation.
- Daily pre-shift checks.
- Refuelling and simple maintenance.
- Procedures for steering and manoeuvring.
- Manoeuvring around site.
- Loading and unloading procedures.